Thursday, August 30, 2012

Cancer anniversary

Hello! I hope everyone is having a swell day! These past 2 weeks have been really special weeks to me because these weeks are the weeks when my journey as a cancer patient started. Last week I posted saying it has been a year since I found my tumor but today is the day that the doctor informed me and my family that I indeed had cancer. Wow what a year it has been!! It is so crazy to think that a year from today around this time I heard the news that would change my life. After finding my tumor in church, the very next day we went to the doctor to have my tumor biopsied and get blood work done to see what the deal was. On Friday of that week after the tests the doctor called and shared the results with us. He told us that it was a 5% chance that my tumor was cancerous and not to worry but to schedule a surgery as soon as possible so that the tumor would not have time to develop into cancer. My family and I celebrated when we heard the great news after having a very emotionally draining week of waiting. My parents scheduled the surgery for the following Wednesday and because my tumor was not cancerous the surgery would consist of the removal of my tumor but I would be able to keep my thyroid. The day before surgery we went into a surgery consult where they would explain the surgery to me and my parents. I walked into the door of the doctor's office thanking the LORD for revealing the tumor to my mother at an early time before it had time to develop to anything more serious. I was so thankful and so excited that this tumor on my thyroid was nothing significant and I thought to myself that this would just be a bump in the road and before I knew it I would be back on my feet doing the things again that made up my daily routines. But as soon as I walked into the consult room I heard news that made me sick to my stomach. I was informed that I was that 5% and my tumor was cancerous. I cannot even begin to explain the rush of emotions that came over me after hearing that I had cancer. One of the main emotions was confusion. I was confused on how the doctor could tell us that everything was all right but just in a matter of seconds our excitement could be taken away. Nobody ever wants to hear that they have cancer but the LORD used this trial in my life to glorify Him and he is still continuing to do so. I have always been at peace with my situation because I knew from the beginning that the LORD would be faithful and walk alongside me the whole entire time. In the midst of these emotions of confusion and sadness the LORD settled my heart. It was like he was whispering to me "McKendree, I will never leave or forsake you." and my troubled heart was settled in an instant. My life was changed completely and one of the things that stayed the same was the LORD and his faithfulness. I want to thank everyone who was there for me this year. The people coming to my house to bring me milkshakes after surgery, the people who came to school wearing a bandana to make me feel better about my scar, the people who came over and watched movies with me when I didn't have energy, the people who came to St. Jude on those really scary appointment days, the people who came and visited me in treatment, and most importantly the people prayed for me. Your acts of kindness mean a lot to me but your prayers mean so much more. I believe in the power of prayer and after seeing our prayers answered how could I not? I cannot even begin to express how blessed I am to have the family and friends that I have because they were there for me every step of the way. It was so crazy how a text or message of encouragement could turn my day around so thank you everyone who kept up with me! I have the best friends and family! Wow, what a year it has been but I know that it will only continue to get better and I know the the LORD will continue to use me to glorify him with my story. Have a blessed night! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment