Thursday, June 21, 2012

Scan update

Good afternoon! I am so thankful for another day the LORD has blessed me with to live out and serve Him! This morning my doctor called and said that he was going out of town for a week but saw the scans and they are good. I am exactly where I need to be in my treatment. We will get the full report and the details of the scans sometime next week. He just wanted to let us know before he left town so that we would not worry. My thyroglobin levels are 8 and eventually we want to get them down to 2 or even better get them down to 0. I am not completely done but we sure are getting close! The type of treatment I receive is called radioactive iodine radiation. This type of treatment stays in your body for a long time so the treatment is still fighting off the cancer cells and thyroid cells. Our plan is to have more scans in December and thyroglobin blood work test to see where I am. We are praying and hoping that my thyroglobin levels will decrease by December which means the treatment is still in my body and continuing to do its job. Today I went up to St. Jude to pick some things up. St. Jude is such a happy place and all the walls are decorated with art that the kids make. As most of you know my friend Andre passed away Friday night and he has a beautiful poem and it is hanging up in one of the main hallways.

My Real World
By Andre C.
Lately it’s been hard.
Lately it’s been tough.
I’ve got to be strong
And never, ever give up.
Leukemia, MDS, Transplant I, Transplant II
This is taking forever, but what can I do?
This wasn’t my plan that’s for sure,
But with God, there’s nothing I can’t endure.

This journey is painful,
As everyone knows.
God’s carrying me through
And it really shows.
I’ll return to my real world
When all this is done.
I’ll have beaten it all.
And I will say, “I won!”

There will be camping, hunting,
Fishing and sports.
Hanging out with family, friends,
And fun of all sorts.
I’ve been inpatient and outpatient
For almost two years.
My doctors and nurses
Have helped calm my fears.
So back to my real world
Is where I’ll be heading.
St. Jude will be in my heart
Forever and ever.

Wow! That poem brings tears to my eyes every time I read it. He had such a wonderful attitude about everything and relied completely on the LORD. His faith was contagious and he touched so many people's lives including mine! He will be missed but I know he is in Heaven with our LORD and Savior, Jesus Christ. Please continue to keep his family in your prayers during this difficult time. Thank you everyone for the support and please continue to keep me and my recovery in your prayers. "This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's son may be glorified through it." John 11:4 Have a blessed day! :)

1 comment:

  1. McKendree, you are such a beautiful person, thank you for sharing all this on your blog. What a blessing you are to all the souls you touch at St. Jude and everywhere. We are praying for you as are so many people. Love you!

    Bitsy

    ReplyDelete